Monday, October 6, 2014

Necronomicast on Assignment! The Creepy Cool Factor of Disneyland




Greetings, Subcreatures!
I, like many of you, love to take a break from the hustle and bustle of daily life and travel.  Now that I am a father of three children under the age of 9, I felt an obligation to take my children on an “All American Family Vacation” this summer.  So naturally, my wife and I decided to take our children to a place where they could witness a re-enacted suicide by hanging, skeletons impaled on the end of a pirate’s saber, a duel at twenty paces that results in a man shot to death, a Victorian mansion teeming with enough paranormal activity to make James Wan wet the bed, assorted cemeteries, and dozens of assorted skulls, bones, and body parts strewn about.  Before you contemplate calling the local bureau of Child Protective Services, let me clarify…we took our kids to Disneyland.

Yes, Disneyland.  The “Happiest Place on Earth”.  The jewel of Southern California.  I’m a tremendous fan of Walt Disney and his vision of entertainment.  He conceived a place built on imagination, fantasy, and dreams.  Sometimes your imagination, fantasy, and dreams can take you to a darker place.  What’s great about what Walt Disney believed is that a darker place can be inspiring and fun.  To my 5 year old son, getting into a slow-moving boat for a ride in the dark to visit the world of pirates in the Caribbean flew in the face of the lessons we have been teaching him about being safe and staying out of trouble.  To my 8 year old daughter, actually standing in line to go inside a truly Haunted Mansion, was a little too much to comprehend.  Then, after a quick lunch in Tomorrowland, we made them wait their turn to battle the real Darth Vader in the Jedi Training Academy.  Quite a day.

It reminded me of why I love a good horror movie.  I dig the nervous anticipation I get before the theater darkens.  I like the way my pulse will quicken at a well written musical score.  I love the visceral reaction I can get at well designed and executed special effects.   When it is all over, I appreciate my relief that it was all just a movie and my life is my own again as I walk to my car.
There is a sign posted over the main entrance of Disneyland.  It reads “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.”  It is the happiest place on Earth, but you never know what might be lurking around the corner!

Sleep tight,


Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment